Healthy Cranberry Sauce
This healthy cranberry sauce is naturally sweetened, paleo and vegan! It can be made 2 ways: sweet or spicy. You'll never go back to canned cranberry sauce again!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup OR honey
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest optional
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1 medium jalapeño finely diced (optional, use if making sweet and spicy cranberry sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional (use only if making sweet and spicy cranberry sauce)
Place the fresh cranberries, maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest, and cinnamon into a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Let come to room temperature before transferring to an air-tight container and storing in the fridge.
For a thicker sauce, cook for the whole 15 minutes, as shown here in the photos. Note that the sauce will thicken up a little while it's cooling to room temperature. For the sweet and spicy version, add the diced jalapeño and cayenne pepper into the pot with all the other ingredients before simmering. This healthy cranberry sauce is delicious over chicken or turkey any time of the year!