Homemade mayo couldn’t be any easier to make. With only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you could be looking at a beautiful jar of creamy, healthy, delicious mayonnaise. Perfect for sandwiches, burgers, sauces, dips or anything your heart desires. Typical homemade mayo recipes call for dijon mustard and vinegar – which just aren’t my favorite flavors. This mayo is made without mustard and vinegar and is the best tasting mayo I’ve ever had!
How to make homemade mayonnaise
1) Place the egg in the bottom of the wide mouth mason jar.
2) Add the oil, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
3) Place the immersion blender at the bottom of the jar.
4) Without moving the blender, turn it on high speed for 10 seconds.
5) After the initial 10 seconds, you should start to see the contents in the jar emulsify. Yay! You’ve made homemade mayo!
6) Move the blender all around and up and down until all the oil is mixed in thoroughly.
7) Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
Tips for making homemade mayo
Tip #1 – When making homemade mayo, you’ll want to use a light/neutral tasting oil – one that doesn’t have a strong flavor. Avocado oil is my absolute favorite oil to use. Others also have success using light olive oil. Don’t, I repeat DON’T use regular olive oil or coconut oil. It won’t taste good. At all.
Tip #2 – Use fresh lemon juice. I mean, it just tastes so much better – what can I say? You’ll also avoid yucky additives. Fresh is always best!
Tip #3 – I highly recommend using wide mouth mason jars like I mentioned above. They are the perfect size for making mayo and helping it emulsify properly. If you don’t have one, try using a liquid measuring cup or tall drinking glass. Just be sure to test that your immersion blender fits into the bottom of your container BEFORE adding the ingredients to it.
Tip #4 – I love these mason jar lids for easy storage. I think you’ll love them too. 😊
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make this mayo! I’d love to see it! Happy emulsifying!
Homemade Mayo (Mustard Free, Paleo)
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of pepper or more to taste
- Crack the egg into the bottom of a wide mouth mason jar. (Be careful not to break the yolk!)
- Add the oil, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
- Place the immersion blender at the bottom of the jar and without moving the blender, turn it on high speed for 10 seconds.
- After the initial 10 seconds move the blender all around and up and down until all the oil is mixed in thoroughly and the contents of the jar resemble typical mayonnaise.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.