This Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake will be the hit of any holiday party or gathering. It’s packed with pumpkin spice and topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. There’s a dairy free and paleo frosting alternative if needed as well! 🙂
This healthy pumpkin cake is:
- gluten free
- easy to make
- kid friendly
- perfectly spiced
Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake Ingredients:
This pumpkin spice cake has pretty typical cake ingredients you most likely have on hand. Especially if you’re familiar with gluten free baking.
Blanched almond flour – The main flour in this easy almond flour pumpkin cake. It lends to a moist and soft cake.
Arrowroot powder – I like to add a little arrowroot powder along with my almond flour to help with texture.
Coconut sugar – The main sweetener in this recipe. Brown sugar should also work if you prefer the cake to be made with that.
Baking powder – Fluffs up the cake and helps it to rise. I love using this brand.
Baking soda – Another leavening agent to help this moist pumpkin cake rise.
Sea salt – Every recipe needs a bit of salt to balance the flavors.
Cinnamon – I like to add a little extra cinnamon to my pumpkin spice recipes. It takes the flavor up a notch.
Pumpkin pie spice – Brings all the flavors together and makes it taste like fall.
Ground ginger – about 1/4 tsp is all we need for this recipe. Use 1/8 tsp ground ginger if halving the recipe.
Vanilla extract – Can you have a baked good without vanilla? I think not. Vanilla extract gives everything that delicious homemade taste.
Pumpkin puree – Make sure to not use pumpkin pie filling. We’ll use more than a cup pumpkin puree in this recipe. We’re using the whole can!
Avocado oil – You can substitute any oil you’d like, like olive oil. I like using avocado oil because it’s mild tasting and has some health benefits too. If you use coconut oil be sure to measure it after it’s been melted.
Eggs – Give this cake some body.
Maple syrup – Pumpkin and maple go great together. I love adding just a touch of maple to my pumpkin recipes.
Cream cheese – Gives the frosting that delicious tang and makes it smooth and creamy.
Powdered sugar – Also called confectioners sugar. Sweetens up the frosting to perfection.
Unsalted butter – Gives the frosting some body and flavor.
Vanilla extract – Adds just a hint of vanilla flavor.
Salt – Use sea salt when you can.
Cinnamon – Spiced frosting is the perfect touch to this almond flour cake.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake – How To Make
1. First, to make this gluten free pumpkin cake, add the 3 1/2 cups almond flour, arrowroot powder, 1 1/3 cup coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
2. Next, add in the pumpkin puree, eggs, avocado oil, and vanilla extract and whisk until a thick batter forms.
3. Then, add the batter to a glass 9×13 pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the middle looks cooked and a toothpick comes out clean. The cake will be a dark golden brown.
4. Finally, add all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and use a hand mixer (or stand mixer) and mix until smooth and creamy. Frost the cake once it’s been cooled for at least 2 hours.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake – Notes
Although I haven’t tried subbing paleo powdered sugar for the frosting, I would guess it would work well.
Alos, if you need a paleo pumpkin cake, you can double the frosting from this recipe instead of using the cream cheese frosting. You could also use dairy free cream cheese.
This is the best almond flour pumpkin cake! I hope you enjoy it!
Follow me on Instagram and tag @simply_jillicious if you make this almond flour pumpkin cake! I’d love to see it!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake
For the Cake
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup, then level off with a knife
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/3 cup coconut sugar can subsitute brown sugar
- 1 15 oz. can Libby's pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling. Using a differnt brand may result in a different cake texture.
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or oil of choice
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softend to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, and coconut sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add in the eggs, oil, pumpkin, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix until a batter forms.
- Add the batter to a 9×13 glass baking dish, and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the top looks well done and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest at room temperature for 2 hours before frosting.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
For the Frosting
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment attached, add in the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Feel free to add more powdered sugar to taste.
- You can also use a handmixer and large mixing bowl if you don't have a stand mixer.