These Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are so festive and fun! This classic treat is taken to a new level with crushed candy canes, mint extract, and a chocolate drizzle. What’s not to love?
Candy cane rice krispie treats, mint chocoate rice krispie treats – whatever you want to call them, your Christmas NEEDS them! And bonus – they’re naturally gluten free!
Peppermint fan? Try my no bake Peppermint Avocado Bars!
I love these festive peppermint rice krispies becuase they are so easy to throw together. They’re perfect for holiday parties, class parties, or neighbor gifts.
And best of all, both kids and adults love them! This recipe is an easy way to jazz up simple rice krispies treats.
Chocolate peppermint is one of my all time favorite flavor combos, and these don’t dissapoint. I love just about any type of peppermint candy or peppermint bark. I even love adding a little peppermint to my homemade hot chocolate recipe. It’s so good!
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats – Ingredients
For the Rice Krispies
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Mini marshmallows
- Salted butter
- Candy canes
- Pure peppermint extract
For the Chocolate Drizzle (Optional)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats – How To Make
First, melt the butter over medium-medium low heat, stirring it occasionally to ensure it doesn’t burn.
While the butter is melting, place your candy canes in a Ziplock bag. Use a rolling pin or the back of an ice cream scoop to crush the candy canes into small pieces.
As soon as the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and add in the mini marshmallows. Be sure to use regualr marshmallows and not peppermint marshmallows.
Next, add in the peppermint extract and mix until the marshmallows have completely melted. It’s about 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract – but I would only measure in drops for this recipe.
Then, add in 5 cups rice krispies along with half of the crushed candy canes. Mix until well combined.
Finally, add the remaining rice cereal and crushed peppermint candy canes, Stir until combined.
Lastly, press the mixture into a buttered 9×13 dish. You can lightly coat it with cooking spray if you prefer.
If adding the chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a double broiler, or in the microwave. Use a spoon to scoop the melted chocolate from the bowl, and drizzle it over the Rice Krispie treats.
Let the peppermint krispies come to room temperature before eating – about 2 hours. Who says gluten free desserts can’t be delicious? Enjoy!
Tips for Making Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
1) I don’t recommend pure mint extract for this recipe but it will be fine in a pinch. Opt for pure peppermint extract if you can!
2) If you’re in a rush you can put them in the fridge for just a bit to set up. But overdoing it will lead to hardened treats.
3) You can half the recipe and use an 8×8 pan instead.
4) If needed, you can butter your fingers, or use the butter wrapper to press the rice krispie mixture into the pan.
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats – FAQ’s
Q: What can you use instead of marshmallows for Rice Krispies?
A: While I don’t recommend it for this recipe, and it hasn’t been tested, a general substitute would be nut butter and a liquid sweetener. For example: maple syrup and almond butter, or honey and peanut butter. These ingredients when melted down and combined, form the perfect sticky/sweet substance to hold all the rice cereal together.
Q: Can I leave out the peppermint extract?
A: Sure! But it will lessen the peppermint flavor significantly.
Q: Can I leave out the candy canes?
A: Absolutely! If candy canes aren’t your thing, you can totally leave them out. The extract alone is enough peppermint for this recipe.
Q: How long will homemade Rice Krispie treats stay fresh?
A: These peppermint Rice Krispie treats will stay fresh for 5-7 days if stored in an airtight container or baggie.
Follow me on Instagram and use #simplyjillicious if you make these peppermint Rice Krispie treats! I’d love to see them!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here
More Holiday Recipes:
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup salted butter 16 tablespoons
- 2 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 drops pure peppermint extract
- 5-6 candy canes crushed
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips optional for the chocolate drizzle
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil optional for the chocolate drizzle
- Add the butter to a large pot, and melt it down over medium low heat. Stirring it occasionally to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Add the candy canes to a ziplock bag. Use a rolling pin or back of an ice cream scoop to crush them into small pieces.
- As soon as the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and add in the mini marshmallows.
- When the marshmallows have melted down, add in the peppermint extract and mix to combine.
- Add in 5 cups of the Rice Krispies, along with half of the crushed candy canes. Mix until combined
- Then add the remaining rice cereal and candy canes and stir until combined.
- Carefully press the mixture into a lightly greased 9×13 pan and
- If adding the chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a double broiler, and drizzle over the top of the treats using a spoon.
- Allow the treats to cool to room temperature. At least 2 hours. Store in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
Hungry for more? Try some of my favorite recipes!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Dairy Free Caramel Sauce
Eggnog Baked Oatmeal
GF Texas Sheet Cake
Healthy Cranberry Sauce
Gluten Free Mummy Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
Sautéed Asparagus with Ghee and Garlic
Paleo Spice Cake with Cinnamon Maple Glaze
Gluten Free Pancakes
Crunchy Almond Butter Cups
Coconut Lime Date Balls
Pineapple Chicken Fajitas
Paleo Whoopie Pies