Dairy free hot chocolate that’s made with almond milk is a delicious holiday treat you can easily make at home.
This non dairy hot chocolate will be loved even by those that eat dairy! It’s that good!
This homemade hot chocolate is made dairy free by using almond milk. I also love using cashew milk. But any dairy free milk like oat milk can be substituted. Even coconut milk!
Looking for another chocolate recipe? Check out this post for dairy free crinkle cookies!
This dairy free hot cocoa is:
refined sugar free
made in minutes
addicting and delicious
Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – Ingredients
- Almond milk – almond milk and cashew milk are my favorites for this recipe. But you can use your favorite non dairy milk.
- Pure maple syrup – a natural sweetener that adds richness and yummy flavor.
- Raw cacao powder – I like raw cacao powder because it’s less processed than cocoa powder and has a darker, richer flavor. You can definitely substitute regular cocoa powder if you’d like!
- Vanilla extract – Brings out the chocolate flavor and adds a little something special.
- Sea salt– balances out the sweetness of the maple syrup and bitterness of the cocoa. Add a big pinch! Avoid using regular table salt if you can as it’s processed with chemicals. Sea salt is the way to go.
Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – How To Make
Step 1: In a large heavy bottom pot, heat all the ingredients over medium high heat.
Step 2: Continuously whisk the maple sweetened hot chocolate for about 2-3 minutes until the cocao powder is no longer clumpy and has blended into the milk. Continue to heat and whisk the milk until piping hot.
Step 3: Pour into a heat proof mug and serve hot of course! 🙂
Step 4: Top it with coconut whipped cream, a sprinkle of organic cinnamon, homemade marshmallows, or crushed candy canes.
Enjoy this dairy free chocolate drink!
Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – Tips
Taste the vegan chocolate holiday drink before serving to see if the flavor is to your liking. If it tastes too sweet, add in a bit more cocoa powder.
Any sweetener of your choice can be subbed for the maple syrup. Coconut sugar would be another great option. The flavor of the maple is definitely my favorite!
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make this dairy free hot chocolate! I’d love to see it!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
If you try this dairy free hot chocolate, or any of my recipes, please leave a review and star rating – thank you!
More holiday recipes to try:
Chocolate Almond Pomegranate Clusters
Paleo Gingerbread Cupcakes
Dairy Free Eggnog Baked Oatmeal
Gluten Free Dairy Free Snickerdoodles
Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups almond milk (or favorite non dairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons raw cocao powder (can sub cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- large pinch sea salt
- Add all the ingredients into a large heavy bottom pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Continuously whisk the ingredients together for about 2-3 minutes until the cocao powder is no longer clumpy and has blended into the milk. Continue to heat and whisk the milk until piping hot.
- Pour into a heat proof mug and serve hot
- Top with coconut whipped cream, a sprinkle of organic cinnamon, homemade marshmallows, or crushed candy canes.
Hungry for more? Check out some of my favorite recipes!
Almond Flour Banana Muffins
Peanut Butter Snack Balls
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Almond Butter Cups
Paleo/GF Banana Bread Cookies
Balsamic Chicken Drumsticks
Paleo Whoopie Pies
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Paleo Pecan Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
Slow Cooker Elderberry Syrup
Healthy Lemon Popsicles – April-August
Blueberry Muffin recipe (GF, Paleo)
Peanut Butter Banana Nice Cream
Chocolate Chocolate Walnut Cookies