These balsamic marinated chicken drumsticks are an easy and delicious meal perfect for any day of the week.
This chicken drumstick recipe is best when marinated for 24 hours, with overnight being second best. However, if you’re in a rush, 2 hours minimum will work. The longer the chicken sits in the marinade, the more flavorful it will be.
Chicken recipes are so versatile and by far my favorite meat to cook with. The flavor combinations are endless and I love experimenting with different recipes in the kitchen.
Healthy chicken drumstick recipes are often marinated in things like soy sauce or lemon juice, but for this recipe, the star of the show is balsamic vinegar.
How To Make Marinated Chicken Drumsticks
Step 1 is to prepare the chicken marinade. To do this, mix the balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add the marinade to a gallon sized Ziploc bag, or a large mixing bowl. I like to use avocado oil because it’s a great source of healthy fat, and has a neutral flavor. Olive oil will work well too.
Next, place the chicken drumsticks (this will also work with chicken breasts) into the marinade. If using a Ziploc bag, seal the bag and gently toss and turn the chicken inside the bag, evenly distributing the marinade.
If you’re putting the marinade into a bowl, use some tongs to move the chicken around until it’s evenly coated. Place the chicken into the refrigerator and let it marinate over night, or 24 hours for best flavor.
The longer the amount of time the chicken spends marinating, the better.
One reason I love these baked chicken drumsticks is because the prep work is done the night before. It makes dinner the next day incredibly easy!
Just whip up an easy side like some roasted broccoli or instant pot baked potatoes and you’ve got an easy, healthy meal.
How To Bake Marinated Chicken Drumsticks In The Oven
When the balsamic chicken drumsticks are done marinating, lay them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a wire rack. Make sure none of the drumsticks are touching each other.
If you’d like an easy cleanup, you can line your sheet pan with parchment paper prior to baking.
Bake the chicken at 425℉ for 40-45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer says 165 degrees.
What Is Chicken Marinade?
Marinade is a combination of flavorful liquids and spices that the chicken soaks in for an extended period of time. The marinade imparts it’s flavor to the chicken while it soaks and can be tasted when the chicken is cooked.
Are Chicken Legs The Same As Chicken Drumsticks?
Well, sort of. Chicken drumsticks are the lower part of the chicken leg. So technically it is a leg, but usually when a person refers to baked chicken legs, or a chicken legs recipe, they’re referring to a larger cut of meat, where the drumstick is still attached to the upper thigh. The chicken thighs combined with the drumstick, would be the technical term for a “chicken leg”.
What’s your favorite part of the chicken? Chicken wings? Breasts? Let me know in the comments and enjoy this chicken drumsticks recipe!
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make these marinated chicken drumsticks! I’d love to see them!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
If you try these marinated chicken drumsticks, or any of my recipes, please leave a review and star rating – thank you!
Balsamic Marinated Chicken Drumsticks
For The Marinade
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano into a gallon sized ziplock bag or a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Place the uncooked chicken into the marinade. Zip up the bag and carefully shake it around until the marinade coats the chicken evenly. If using a bowl, you can use tongs to mix the chicken into the marinade.
- Place the marinated chicken drumsticks into to fridge to sit. Mix the chicken around in the marinade every few hours. Allow the chicken to sit in the marinade for 24 hours if possible.
To Roast The Drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional for easy clean-up) and place a wire rack on top.
- Remove each marinated chicken drumstick from the bag, and lay it in a single layer on top of the wire rack, making sure the drumsticks aren't touching each other.
- Place chicken into the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the internal tempereature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Serve hot and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Hungry for more? Check out some of my favorite dessert recipes!
Paleo Banana Bread Cookies
Chocolate Pomegranate Almond Clusters
Paleo Whoopie Pies
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Gluten Free and Paleo Crinkle Cookies
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Strawberry Banana Coconut Milk Smoothie