My family and I love making dairy free pancakes on the weekends. It’s become expected. I guess you could call it a tradition.
These milk free pancakes are our favorite dairy free breakfast and the ones we make most often. So I thought I’d spread the pancake love and share the recipe with you!
This dairy free pancake recipe is easy to make and approved by even the pickiest of toddlers.
These particular gluten free dairy free pancakes call for water – because I’m cheap like that. 😆 But feel free to sub your favorite dairy free milk, like almond or coconut milk. I’ve used almond milk before and the recipe worked great. Coconut or almond milk pancakes are perfectly acceptable!
We like to follow the Paleo diet about 80% of the time. Because of this, I love mixing up my own flours to create a gluten free pancake mix. However, I also love using good ol’ Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 all purpose flour for times I want to keep things easy! It’s not paleo, but it is gluten free.
It’s also SUPER important to mix the water in 1/2 cup at a time. This allows the flour to really soak up the liquid, and results in a fluffier, less gummy pancake.
Ingredients for Dairy Free Pancakes
- Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten free baking mix (make sure it says 1:1)
- Baking Powder (not baking soda)
- Honey (the little bit of natural sugar helps the pancakes to brown, just like traditional buttermilk pancakes)
How to Make Dairy Free Pancakes
- Whisk together the dry ingredients – the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the eggs, honey, and 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water and mix again.
- Lastly, add the remaining 1/2 cup water and mix until the batter is smooth and even.
- Grease the skillet or griddle with coconut oil or avocado oil. Try to avoid using vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Cook over medium low heat. I love this stove top cast iron griddle!
- Once the edges of the pancake looks set, no longer runny, and you see bubbles formed on the top, flip that bad boy over and cook for a few more minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve these fluffy pancakes warm with real maple syrup, berries, coconut whip cream, granola, nut butter, or anything else your heart desires!
Tips For Making Dairy Free Pancakes
- As stated, adding the water in 1/2 cup at a time is key for this recipe. Don’t skip this step!
- Once you start to see bubbles, let the pancake cook just a little longer before you flip it. You want the edges of the pancake to be set.
- Use either a 1/4 cup or 1/3 measuring cup to measure the batter. I used a 1/3 cup. They have the best texture this way!
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make these fluffy dairy free pancakes! I’d love to see them!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
If you try these dairy free pancakes, or any of my recipes, please leave a review and star rating – thank you!
Dairy Free Pancakes (Gluten Free, Nut Free)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add in the eggs, honey, and 1/2 cup of water and mix well
- Add another 1/2 cup of water and mix again
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup water and mix until the batter is smooth and even
- Use a 1/4 or 1/3 measuring cup to scoop the batter onto a greased skillet or griddle
- Cook over medium low heat until bubbles have formed on the top, and the edges have set up
- Flip the pancakes and cook on the other side for a few more minutes until both sides are golden brown
- Serve warm and enjoy with your favorite toppings
Hungry for more? Try some of my favorite recipes – you’ll be glad you did!
If you enjoyed this recipe, follow me on social media for more!
Psst…want to save money on healthy food? Check out Thrive Market!