Roasting brussels sprouts in the oven. It’s the best way to cook em’. These lemon pepper brussels sprouts are roasted to perfection in the oven and are a great addition to any meal.
I love a good easy side dish, don’t you? These brussels sprouts made in the oven are super simple. You just need a few ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. (Psst…if you’re into easy side dishes like me, you’ll love these instant pot baked potatoes!) And whether you say “brussel” or “brussels”, it makes no difference to me – because I think we can all agree that crispy brussels are where it’s at!
How to prepare brussels sprouts
If you’ve never prepared brussels sprouts before, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. There’s 3 common types of brussels that you can buy at the store:
Fresh on the stalk
To prepare these, just cut them off at the base – the part where the brussels are connected to the stalk. The stalk can be bitter, so make sure you cut off as much as you can from the brussel sprout. Wash, cut lengthwise, and you’re ready to go! If you want, you can actually roast the whole stalk in the oven, just be sure to flip it a few times while it’s cooking.
Loose (fresh, off the stalk)
This is how I buy my brussels sprouts. Sometimes there can be a little bit of a stem still left on the sprout. In that case, I like to trim it off with a knife to avoid any bitterness in my oven roasted brussels. Then, wash and cut lengthwise, and place them flat side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Frozen brussels sprouts
Take my word for it, don’t buy frozen brussels sprouts. 🤢 They won’t crisp up as nicely and won’t taste as good. The ol’ saying “fresh is best” definitely comes into play with brussels sprouts. But, if you choose to ignore my words of wisdom – just read the directions on the bag for how to cook them. 😊
For this recipe, I wanted to switch things up from my go-to oil and salt recipe. So I decided to add some lemon juice and pepper and the result was YUM! But by all means, if you’d like to just drizzle some avocado oil, and a little sprinkle of salt before roasting your brussels sprouts in the oven, you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy! 😋
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make these lemon pepper brussels sprouts! I’d love to see them!
Oven Roasted Lemon Pepper Brussels Sprouts
- 3 cups halved brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- sprinkle of salt (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- large pinch of pepper (or more to taste)
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425℉.
- Wash the brussels sprouts and trim off any excess stalk that may be left on.
- Add the oil to the brussels and mix with your hands to make sure they're evenly coated and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the brussels sprouts face down on the sheet pan and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until charred on top.
- Remove the brussels from the oven and gently place into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper and carefully mix with a spoon so the brussels are coated evenly.
- Serve warm.