This is part 3 of my Halloween food ideas mini series!
These sweet potato pumpkins are both festive and healthy and kids love them! It’s definitely possible to have a healthy Halloween with limited sugar.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Jack-o-Lanterns (Halloween Food Idea)
How To Make Sweet Potato Jack-o-Lanterns (Healthy Halloween Food Idea)
- Peel the sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice the sweet potato into rounds. About 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a sharp paring knife, CAREFULLY cut out jack-o-lantern faces on each sweet potato round.
- Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes with oil then use your hands to make sure they’re evenly coated.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and roast in the oven at 425 ℉ for 25-30 minutes.
These sweet potato jack-o-lanterns would be perfect for an after school snack, or a side dish for a Halloween themed dinner. What healthy Halloween food ideas do you have? Share in the comments below!
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make this Halloween food idea! I’d love to see it!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
If you try this recipe, or any of my recipes, please leave a review and star rating – thank you!
Sweet Potato Jack-o-Lanterns
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- avocado oil (can sub your favorite cooking oil)
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler. (You can leave the skins on if you'd like, just wash thouroughly before slicing)
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Using a sharp paring knife, carefully cut out jack-lantern faces on each sweet potato.
- Place the jack-o-lantern sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Use your hands to spread the oil evenly on the tops and bottoms of the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. I like to roast mine until the outside is charred a bit.