This Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting is perfect for a Valentine’s Day dessert. But really, chocolate and strawberry is such a classic combination that this cake can be baked up for any occasion, not just in February.
This chocolate strawberry cake is:
gluten free (you can substitute all purpose flour)
great for feeding a crowd
I debated whether to create this recipe with a strawberry buttercream frosting, or cream cheese frosting but decided on the latter.
I love the balance of flavors and think the buttercream frosting would’ve been too overwhelming.
Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting – Ingredients
For the cake:
cocoa powder (I used raw cacao powder)
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Flour (can sub regular flour)
sour cream (not heavy whipping cream)
For the frosting:
strawberry jam (can sub fresh strawberries)
Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting – How To Make
First, preheat the oven to 375℉.
Second, make the cake by whisking together the flour, sugar, and salt.
Next, heat the butter, water, and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and add it to the dry ingredients. Be sure to use a spatula to get as much of the chocolate mixture out of the pan as you can, and whisk until well incorporated.
Let the mixture cool for a few minutes before adding in the eggs, sour cream, and baking soda.
Then, stir to combine and pour the cake batter into a greased sheet pan. To grease the pan, I get some butter on a paper towel and spread it all over the pan. Or you can spray some oil on it.
No special cake pans are needed for this recipe. You just need a regular old cookie sheet.
Place the cake into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
To Make The Frosting:
While the cake is cooking, make the frosting.
Using a hand mixer and large bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Alternatively you could use a stand mixer and paddle attachment.
Next, add in the vanilla and strawberry jam and mix a bit more.
Then, add in the powdered sugar a little at a time until a thick, creamy frosting is formed.
Let the cake come to room temperature before frosting.
Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting – Tips
This cake can be made into a layer cake, as long as you’re okay with the cake layers being on the thinner side. It’s also a fragile cake so be careful when handling it.
Try this cake recipe chilled! It’s delicious!
To grease the pan, I like to get some butter on a paper towel and spread the butter all over the pan.
This cake is incredible as is, but sometimes I like to serve this with fresh strawberries on the top. Either a half of one strawberry or diced strawberries.
However, don’t add strawberries to the cake until right before you serve it. Otherwise the moisture from the fresh strawberries will leak out onto the frosting.
More cakes to try:
Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting
For The Cake
For The Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons, room temperature)
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon no sugar added strawberry jelly (I used Crofters brand, see notes for fresh strawberry substitution)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
For The Cake
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Grease a 13x18 sheet pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Heat the butter, water, and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- As soon as the cocoa mixture comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add it to the flour mixture.Be sure to use a spatula to get as much of the chocolate mixture out of the pan as you can, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Let the mixture cool for a few minutes before adding in the eggs, sour cream, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased baking sheet, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
For The Frosting
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine the butter and cream cheese until creamy. (Be sure to use unsalted butter).
- Mix in the vanilla and jam.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until a thick and creamy frosting is formed.
- Let the cake come to room temperature before frosting.
- Eat at room temperature, or cold!
Hungry for more? Check out some of my favorite recipes!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Recipe
Peanut Butter Snack Balls
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Almond Butter Cups
Balsamic Chicken Drumsticks
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Strawberry Banana Valentine’s Smoothie
Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
Slow Cooker Elderberry Syrup
Healthy Lemon Popsicles
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Nice Cream
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Almond Flour Cookies With Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
GF Texas Sheet Cake With Chocolate Ganache