Ever wonder how to make chocolate covered strawberries at home? This post will teach you how!
Dipped strawberries are a classic dessert that are easy to make but super decadent.
Chocolate covered strawberries are perfect for special occasions and holidays, but simple enough for a healthy snack.
Strawberries are a delicious food on their own, but can be taken to the next level by adding chocolate!
This easy recipe for chocolate strawberries makes a perfect gift for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, or any special occasion.
Need another Valentine’s Day recipe? Try this Strawberry Banana Smoothie!
This recipe for chocolate covered strawberries is
- gluten free
- dairy free (if using dairy free chocolate)
- vegan (if using vegan chocolate)
- easy to make
- keto (if using keto chocolate chips)
Add some strawberries and chocolate chips to your shopping list and let’s get cookin’!
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries – Ingredients
Fresh strawberries – organic if possible
Chocolate chips – I like using semi sweet chocolate, but dark chocolate or milk chocolate will work well too. (Stick with real chocolate chips and not baking chips)
1 vanilla bean – this is optional but adds a little something special.
Melted coconut oil, avocado oil, or oil of choice – this thins out the chocolate just a bit, to make it perfect for dipping.
Decorations – these are optional and include things like sprinkles, finely chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers, and shredded coconut.
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries – The Method
First, wash and dry your strawberries. You will want the strawberries to be 100% dry before dipping. I usually wash and dry my strawberries, and then lay them out on a paper towel to continue drying for a few hours. I’ll pat them dry a time or two more with some paper towels while they’re laying out to dry.
Next, melt the chocolate over a double boiler. To do this, fill up a small pot 1/3 of the way full with water. Place a metal or glass bowl on top of the pot, making sure the water isn’t touching it, and add the chocolate chips into the bowl.
Then, turn the heat to medium high and stir the chocolate as it melts. The steam from the water is what will melt chocolate. Be sure to not get any water into the chocolate, otherwise it will seize up and harden.
While the chocolate is melting, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper and set aside.
Once the chocolate is melted, turn off the heat, and grab your first strawberry. Hold the strawberry by the stem, and dip it into the melted chocolate, turning it around, and moving it from side to side until it’s completely coated.
Lift the strawberry out of the bowl and let any excess chocolate drip off. The chocolate coating is pretty thick, so not much should come off.
If you’re wanting to add any decorations to the strawberries, add them now before placing the strawberries onto the sheet pan.
Decorations include things like sprinkles, shredded coconut, finely chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers, mini chocolate chips, chocolate or white chocolate drizzles, or anything else you can think of.
Next, carefully place the strawberry onto the parchment lined sheet pan. Continue this process until all the strawberries are dipped.
Place the sheet pan into the fridge to set up for about 15 minutes.
How To Store Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Because these chocolate covered strawberries are made with fresh fruit, it’s best to eat them as soon as possible. If you need to store them, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
These chocolate coated strawberries will be fine at room temperature for a few hours.
Where Can I Buy Chocolate Covered Strawberries?
If you’d rather buy your chocolate covered strawberries than tackle your own diy version, there are many places that offer them. There’s online stores like Shari’s Berries, Edible Arrangements, and Harry and David.
However, most local grocery stores these days will carry them around Valentine’s Day. You can also check with your local See’s candy store. Even Amazon carries them!
I hope you enjoy these chocolate dipped strawberries!
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if this helped you learn how to make chocolate covered strawberries! I’d love to see them!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
More Chocolate recipes to try:
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 pound fresh strawberries about 15 strawberries, organic if possible
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips can sub dark chocolate or milk chocoate
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil can sub coconut oil or oil of choice
- 1 vanilla bean optional
- Optional decorations sprinkles, finely chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers or pretzels, and shredded coconut.
- Wash and dry the strawberries. They will need to be completely dry before dipping. *See Notes*
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare any decorations/toppings by placing them in small individual bowls.
- Make a double boiler by adding water into a small pot 1/3 of the way full, and placing a glass or metal bowl on top of it. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water. *See Notes*
- Turn the heat to medium high, and add the chocolate chips to the bowl.
- Allow the steam from the pot to melt the chocolate chips down completely, stirring on occasion to make sure there's no lumps and it's evenly melted. Add in the oil and mix well.
- Slice the vanilla bean if using, by running your knife lenghtwise down the vanilla bean. Use the back of your knife to gently scrape out the seeds, and add them to the melted chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, turn off the heat, and grab your first strawberry. Hold the strawberry by the stem, and dip it into the melted chocolate, turning it around, and moving it from side to side until it's completely coated.
- Add any decorations to the strawberries, like sprinkles, chopped nuts ect., then place the strawberries onto the baking sheet.
- Continue this process until all the strawberries are dipped.
- Place the sheet pan into the fridge to set up for about 15 -20 minutes.
Hungry for more? Click a link below see some of my favorite recipes!
GF Apple Cake With Caramel Frosting
Peanut Butter Snack Balls
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Almond Butter Cups
Balsamic Chicken Drumsticks
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies With Pecans
Strawberry Banana Valentine’s Smoothie
Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
Slow Cooker Elderberry Syrup
Healthy Lemon Popsicles
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies