Healthy pineapple chicken is a delicious and easy dinner that is sure to become a family favorite.
This gluten free pineapple chicken recipe is easy to make and soy sauce free. It’s made in a skillet on the stove, instead of a slow cooker or crock pot.
My favorite part of this dish is the pineapple chunks, and the little bit of spice to balance out the sweetness. I love biting into the pineapple and having the pineapple juice just burst into your mouth. YUM!
This healthy pineapple chicken recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and whole 30!
In my opinion, fresh food tastes best which is why I use fresh pineapple for this healthy pineapple chicken, but canned pineapple chunks would work too.
Healthy Pineapple Chicken Ingredients
Healthy Pineapple Chicken – How To Make
First, prepare all the ingredients that need to be chopped and set them aside. This includes the bell peppers, pineapple, onion, and chicken.
Heat a 12 inch skillet or stir fry pan, to medium heat and add the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook the chicken until no longer pink – about 5-6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Next, add the chopped peppers, onions, and pineapple to the skillet and sauté until the peppers are tender. Stir them ocoasionally so they don’t stick to the skillet.
While the veggies and pineapple are cooking, mix up the sauce. To a small bowl, add the coconut aminos, chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, arrowroot powder, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper. Whisk together until well mixed.
Once the pepper and pineapple mixture is tender, add the sauce and chicken to the skillet. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, then reduce it to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
And in no time at all – the healthy pineapple chicken is ready!
I like to serve this paleo pineapple chicken over cauliflower rice. Brown rice or white rice works too! I even love eating the cold leftover chicken for breakfast the next morning. It’s that good. Enjoy!
Healthy Pineapple Chicken – Tips
For best results chop the chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onion roughly the same size. This will help them cook evenly. And it looks nice too! Pretty food is always fun to eat.
Add the sauce to the pan just before the peppers become fork tender. They’ll cook another 5 minutes with the sauce and have the perfect bite by the end.
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you make this healthy pineapple chicken! I’d love to see it!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
If you try this healthy pineapple chicken recipe, or any of my recipes, please leave a review and star rating – thank you!
Healthy Pineapple Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into about 1 inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple (cubed - can substitute canned)
- 1 bell pepper (cut into about 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 medium onion (cut into about 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (can sub any oil)
- Chop the peppers, onion, pineapple and chicken, and set aside until ready to add to the skillet.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet to medium heat and add in the oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the hot skillet. Cook the chicken until no longer pink - about 5-6 minutes flipping halfway through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped peppers, onions, and pineapple to the skillet and sauté until the peppers are tender. Stir them ocoasionally so they don't stick to the skillet and add a drizzle of extra oil to the pan if needed.
- While the veggies and pineapple are cooking, mix up the sauce. To a small bowl, add the coconut aminos, chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, arrowroot powder, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper. Whisk together until well mixed.
- When the peppers are fork tender, add the sauce and cooked chicken to the skillet. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, then reduce it to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with sesame or hemp seeds and serve over cauliflower, white, or brown rice.
Hungry for more? Check out some of my favorite recipes!
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Paleo/GF Banana Bread Cookies
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Bites
Balsamic Chicken Drumsticks
Chocolate Pomegranate Almond Clusters
Paleo Whoopie Pies
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Gluten Free and Paleo Crinkle Cookies
Paleo Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Strawberry Banana Smoothie