Almond flour shortbread cookies are a delicious and easy recipe to add to your almond flour cookie collection.
This shortbread cookie recipe is special enough for the holidays, and simple enough for an after school snack.
Are these cookies almond flour based? Why yes, yes they are.
However, they do have a few tablespoons of coconut flour to help give it a nice crunch. But almond flour is the main flour used in this shortbread recipe.
Want more almond flour cookies? Try these Gluten Free Chocolate Walnut Cookies!
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
I love shortbread cookies because they’re so easy to make and have a mild flavor.
They’re delicious eaten alone or drizzled with chocolate (my fave!)
With only 6 ingredients, these gluten free almond flour shortbread cookies come together in minutes.
These shortbread cookies are:
- gluten free
- dairy free
- refined sugar free
- delicious dipped in chocolate
These gluten free almond shortbread cookies will be a cookie you make time and time again.
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies – Ingredients
Blanched almond flour (Not almond meal. I used the Kirkland brand, but a fine almond flour will work too).
Coconut flour – helps give these gluten free shortbread cookies a little crunch.
Sea salt – avoid regular table salt if you can and always opt for pure sea salt!
Pure maple syrup– adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
Palm shortening – (I used this, which is a blend of shortening, palm oil, and coconut oil) This replaces the butter in traditional shortbread cookie recipes.
Vanilla extract – adds depth of flavor.
Almond extract – optional, I omit this and just prefer the vanilla. The main ingredient almond flour, will add a slight almond flavor, even without the extract. But if you’d like a stronger almond flavor I recommend adding it in!
Chocolate chips – optional for a chocolate drizzle or coating.
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies – How To Make
First, whisk the 1 1/2 cup almond flour, coconut flour and salt, in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Then, add in the palm shortening, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract if using.
Next, use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients until a dough is formed. Let it sit for 5 minutes at room temperature.
Then, flip the cookie dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough, and roll it until it’s 1/4 inch thick.
The thickness in this recipe is important. Too thick and it will come out soft (delicious but soft), and too thin will result in a cookie that’s bitter and burnt.
Use a small biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. It’s okay if you don’t have cookie cutters, just get creative!
I actually used a small mason jar lid and a little lunchbox sauce container to cut the shortbread into circles.
Using a spatula, carefully move the cut cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Transfer the pan to a 325℉ oven and bake for about 11-13 minutes.
Watch the cookies carefully as all ovens vary! Once the edges have turned golden brown, they’re done! Remove from the oven and let the almond flour shortbread cookies cool on the pan before eating.
Need another almond flour recipe? Try these Almond Flour Snickerdoodles!
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies – Optional Chocolate Coating
Melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips over a double boiler.
Option 1: For chocolate drizzles – add in 1 teaspoon of avocado or coconut oil to the chocolate and use a spoon to drizzle over the tops. (The oil is optional but it thins out the chocolate a bit so it’s easier to drizzle).
Option 2: For a half chocolate dipped cookie – Gently dip half the room temperature cookie in the chocolate, and lay on a parchment lined baking sheet to harden. Use a spoon to help coat the cookie evenly.
Option 3: For a chocolate coated base – place the cookie into the chocolate, then gently remove it with a fork, wiping off the excess chocolate on the side of the pan. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet to harden up.
Follow me on Instagram and use the tag #simplyjillicious if you made these almond flour shortbread cookies! I’d love to see them!
And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter here.
More almond flour recipes to try:
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup palm shortening
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond ectract (optional, omit 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract if using.)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (optional, for chocolate drizzle or coating (you can add a teaspoon of avocado or coconut oil to the chocolate so it's easier to drizzle))
For The Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the almond flour, coconut flour and salt, in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in the palm shortening, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract (if using)
- Use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients until a dough is formed.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Flip the cookie dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it's 1/4 inch thick. *see notes*
- Use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. *see notes*
- Using a spatula, carefully move the cut cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 11-13 minutes.
- Watch the cookies carefully as all ovens vary! Once the edges have turned golden brown, they're done!
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the pan before eating.
For The Chocolate Drizzle
- Melt the chocolate chips over a double broiler
- Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the room temperature cookies. I like to let the chocolate set up a bit before eating.
- Alternately, you can coat the bottoms of the cookies in chocolate by placing them into the chocolate
Hungry for more? Check out some of my favorite recipes!
GF Apple Cake With Caramel Frosting
Peanut Butter Snack Balls
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Almond Butter Cups
Balsamic Chicken Drumsticks
Fudgy Paleo Brownies
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies With Pecans
Strawberry Banana Valentine’s Smoothie
Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
Slow Cooker Elderberry Syrup
Healthy Lemon Popsicles
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Nice Cream
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies